On 20 Nov 2002, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:

> On Mit, 2002-11-20 at 00:38, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> >
> > heretic2 has some problems, but they also show up in the trunk :-)
> > Basically, any sort of flashing (like if my character throws a fireball),
> > causes a huge drop in the framerate.
>
> It uses the Quake 2 engine, right? As has been discussed here before, it
> has an inefficient implementation of dynamic lighting with
> multitexturing. Try
>
> set gl_ext_multitexture "0"
>
> or
>
> set gl_dynamic "0"

set gl_ext_multitexture "0" didn't work.  I forgot to try gl_dynamic
before I left for work.  I'll hopefully be able to give it a whirl
tonight.

> > I've also given it a shot under FreeBSD.  The results with GL applications
> > (both native and linux through the binary compatability layer) are the
> > same.   *However* the X server itself seems rather unstable.  At first, I
> > couldn't figure it out; everytime I went to start X, the server would
> > start up for a split second and then die.  After some experimenting, I
> > discovered that the problem was gkrellm, which was in my .xinitrc.  More
> > specifically, it seems to be any gtk-2.0 application.  In addition, when I
> > switched to kde3 as my window manager, the same thing happened.  So, I can
> > run enlightenment without any problem.  However, if I start any gtk-2.0
> > apps, or kde3 apps (maybe it's qt?), the X server will die :-)
>
> There have been reports of crashes in the TrueType font renderers, could
> it be that?

Hmmm... I guess that's a possibility.  I tried another experiment this
morning and the results kind of surprised me.

If I start X with "xinit /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm" and then launch metacity
from the xterm, the server will crash.  If, however, I start X with
"xinit /usr/X11R6/bin/metacity", the server starts up and runs fine.

I'm including the last 60 lines of /var/log/XFree86.0.log.  You'll notice
that there's an unresolved symbol in libGLcore.a

Adam

(II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled
(==) RADEON(0): Backing store disabled
(II) RADEON(0): Using hardware cursor (scanline 1442)
(II) RADEON(0): Largest offscreen area available: 1920 x 6748
(**) Option "dpms" "off"
(**) RADEON(0): DPMS enabled
(II) RADEON(0): X context handle = 0x00000001
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] installed DRM signal handler
(II) RADEON(0): [DRI] installation complete
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] Added 32 65536 byte vertex/indirect buffers
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] Mapped 32 vertex/indirect buffers
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] dma control initialized, using IRQ 5
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] Initialized kernel agp heap manager, 62914560
(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled
Symbol xf86strncat from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a is
unresolved!
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension LBX
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
(**) Option "Protocol" "Auto"
(**) Mouse1: Protocol: "Auto"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse1: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
(**) Option "Buttons" "5"
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Mouse1: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Mouse1: Buttons: 5
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard1" handled by legacy driver
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1" (type: MOUSE)
(II) Mouse1: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 4, hw.model is 0
(II) Mouse1: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse
(**) Option "BaudRate" "1200"
Warning: font renderer for ".pfa" registered more than once
Warning: font renderer for ".pfb" registered more than once
GetModeLine - scrn: 0 clock: 157500
GetModeLine - hdsp: 1280 hbeg: 1344 hend: 1504 httl: 1728
              vdsp: 1024 vbeg: 1025 vend: 1028 vttl: 1072 flags: 5
GetModeLine - scrn: 0 clock: 157500
GetModeLine - hdsp: 1280 hbeg: 1344 hend: 1504 httl: 1728
              vdsp: 1024 vbeg: 1025 vend: 1028 vttl: 1072 flags: 5

   *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
   *** be the reason for the server aborting.

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".