On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 04:11:10PM -0700, Brian Paul wrote:
> Philip Brown wrote:
> > That definately sounds like the Right Thing To Do.
>
> Easier said than done.
>
> I'm willing to bet that there's around 100 header files in the XFree86
> tree that get pulled into the compilation of the various DRI-related
> source files.

well, you could always revert to the utah-glx method, of duplicating an
include tree with *just* the X11 header files.

> Then, there's the Imakefile system.  For every directory with DRI-
> related files you'd have to keep all Imakefiles in all parent
> directories.

Or... stop using Imake, and switch to autoconf.

> I'm not sure that the effort involved in setting that up would be
> worth it.

Obviously, it is a very considerable amount of effort.
But the results would be much cleaner, and hopefully lead to more
abstraction away from the xfree code, and into a code tree structure that
is more tightly coherent in and of itself