On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 02:33:11PM -0700, Jens Owen wrote:
> magenta wrote:
> >
> > 3. Users should not be able to configure default behavior; applications
> > should specify all behavior explicitly if it matters, and expose this as an
> > application-level configuration option to the user
> >
> > Personally, I'm torn between camps 1 and 3.
>
> I'm squarely in camp 3 based on Allen's rationale and his experience.

Yeah, I am now too, after talking about the LD_PRELOAD idea.  (I should
have gone back and edited my message, which I wrote in a
stream-of-consciousness manner.)

> > Actually, I just thought of a solution which could possibly satisfy all
> > three camps: have a libGL wrapper library (loaded via LD_PRELOAD) which
> > overrides functionality as needed.  Want to force FSAA to be enabled?  Put
> > it into glXCreateContext().  Want to force GL_RGB8 when the application
> > chooses GL_RGB?  Do it in glTexImage().  Hey, if you want to force GL_RGB4
> > when the application chooses GL_RGB8, you could do that too!
> >
> > Basically, I see no reason to put this configuration into the drivers
> > themselves, as it could easily be done using an LD_PRELOADed library.
> >

> The Chromium project has been doing this for a while.  At SigGraph, I
> saw a demo of quake3 running in wire frame mode using this type of trick.

I wanted to see that, but it was one of those talks which I managed to miss
all but the last 5 minutes of. :)  I thought that Chromium was a complete
libGL replacement (for the purpose of clustered rendering), though, and
that the "wireframe" was really a complete reformatting of the OpenGL
primitives.  At least, that's what the paper in thne proceedings seems to
indicate.

> Let's strive to keep as much unneeded complexity as we can out of the
> drivers.

I definitely agree.

--
http://trikuare.cx