On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 12:53:51PM -0800, Ian Romanick wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 10:31:08AM +0100, Charl P. Botha wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > In spite of some issues with binary snapshots, the DRI resume patches
> > seem to work well.  They have been available and in use on several
> > different kinds of laptops for a few months now.
> >
> > What are the chances of this patch being accepted into the DRI CVS
> > repository?  How should I go about getting these small changes off my
> > hands and eventually into XFree86?
>
> My memory is a little bit fuzzy on this.  Did this patch also allow users to
> change their DRM module and radeon_dri.so file while vt switched?  That is,
> update drivers w/o restarting X?

No.  You're thinking of the DRI ReInit patches which I started with an ugly
kludge and Michel Dänzer subsequently turned into a very good solution for
swapping out agpgart and the radeon DRM without restarting X.  As a
side-advantage, it also allows suspending/resuming, at least if no
DRI-clients are running.

The patch I'm talking about above is much simpler however.  It performs a
hardware-only re-initialisation at VT entry so that suspend/resume works
even with running DRI-clients and Xv applications.

Thanks,
Charl