On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 21:10, Andy Ross wrote:

> First off, getting DRI to coexist with an existing X11 distribution is
> a chore.  As everybody knows (translation: I only wasted 20 minutes on
> this one) clients have to have an LD_LIBRARY_PATH containing the right
> libGL.so, but even then you only get indirect rendering because the
> client-side DRI driver isn't found.  Is it possible (via an
> environment variable or compile time switch) to get the client-side
> libGL to look somethere *other* that /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri for
> drivers?  I have to move the directory out of the way and make a
> symlink every time I change X servers.

If you change the ProjectRoot variable for the build, libGL will also
look there for the drivers by default.

> Likewise, I had to figure out for myself where the kernel modules were
> (something like nine directories deep!), and that they didn't build
> themselves.

We could make them build by default in the DRI tree?

> Both drivers get terribly confused if the other one touches the card
> first.  I typically have to do a hard reset before changing X servers
> or else the machine chokes (sometimes it's a hard lockup, other times
> the X server just enters an infinite loop and I can reboot the machine
> over the network).  Since you guys clearly can't be responsible for
> what someone else does to the hardware, I haven't investigated this
> very much.

I suspect this is due to the memory controller registers being
programmed differently. We should probably consider switching to the
scheme recommended by ATI, which is used by GATOS.