On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 03:19:22PM -0800, Philip Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:18:43PM +0100, Felix K?hling wrote:
> > If anyone has serious objections to XML, please let us know (mail to
> > dri-devel will suffice ;-).
>
> I object. Using xml inevitably leads to files that are completely
> human-unreadable, except perhaps to the original developers.
> Please stick with ye olde standard XF86Config type format.
> It  could be better, but it is CERTAINLY better than XML.

I couldn't agree more. My job is closely related to RDBMS/Web Application
development and implementation. While XML is definitely useful in some
areas and widely accepted here, my eyes are objecting of parsing files
like this:

  <security-constraint>
    <display-name>Security Constraint</display-name>
    <web-resource-collection>
      <web-resource-name>Protected Servlet</web-resource-name>
      <url-pattern>/servlet/xmltransform</url-pattern>
      <http-method>GET</http-method>
      <http-method>POST</http-method>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
      <role-name>manager</role-name>
      <role-name>operator</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
  </security-constraint>
  <login-config>
    <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
    <realm-name>Constraint Realm</realm-name>
  </login-config>

or this one:

  <Environment name="maxExemptions" type="java.lang.Integer"
                      value="15"/>
          <Parameter name="context.param.name" value="context.param.value"
                     override="false"/>
          <Resource name="jdbc/EmployeeAppDb" auth="SERVLET"
                    type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
          <ResourceParams name="jdbc/EmployeeAppDb">
          </ResourceParams>
          <Resource name="mail/Session" auth="Container"
                    type="javax.mail.Session"/>
          <ResourceParams name="mail/Session">
            <parameter>
              <name>mail.smtp.host</name>
              <value>localhost</value>
            </parameter>
          </ResourceParams>
          <ResourceLink name="linkToGlobalResource"
                    global="simpleValue"
                    type="java.lang.Integer"/>

try this also:

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>ssi</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
          org.apache.catalina.ssi.SSIServlet
        </servlet-class>
        <init-param>
          <param-name>buffered</param-name>
          <param-value>1</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
          <param-name>debug</param-name>
          <param-value>0</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
          <param-name>expires</param-name>
          <param-value>666</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
          <param-name>isVirtualWebappRelative</param-name>
          <param-value>0</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <load-on-startup>4</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

You don't need over-generalization like XML. Some simple hierarchical format
with simple macro (or inheritance) and matching capabilities would suffice.
Using XML also introduce dependencies on XML parser, which in turn also have
dependencies. It is also possible to rebuild XML parser in some binary
incompatible way..

arkadi.