On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:37:03AM +0000, Ian Molton wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 02:55:22 -0600 (CST)
> "D. Hageman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > > So what are the "technical" advantages of XML in this case?
> >
> > Quick List --
> >
> > *) Text Based - easy to edit.
>
> Text based does NOT imply easy to edit. look at USBsnopys' output. its
> completely illegible.

Well, i think there is a misunderstanding on what 'easy to read' mean.
After all, some would say, it is ok to use a binary format, after all,
you just need an hex editor and you can modify it to your hearts
content. I personally think xml is not really all that readable,
especially because of the end tag, which maybe is not really needed,
altough i don't know exactly what we are going to store.

> > *) Extensible, no painting ourselves into a corner. One can easily
> > extend the spec without having to rewrite the entire parser.
>
> Also irrelevant. the USERS will never need to do this.

Well, i think this is relevant and a good advantage to using xml. Maybe
the user will not need to use it, but imagine that each driver will need
to support a different set of parameters or something such, so there
will be a common set of parameters, and each driver can extend it to
define driver specific parameters.

Maybe before we continue in this xml flamewar, it would be best to
define what exactly we are going to express in this config file. Will it
include only booleans and numeric values, or maybe also matrices, or
even other stuff (graphic programs ?).

Friendly,

Sven Luther