On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 01:24:26PM -0600, D. Hageman wrote:
>...  We played around with using Screens and driver
> names, but in the end we were looking at keying off the device identifier.
> At this time I still believe that is the best thing to use, but we have
> no way at this time of grabbing such information from inside a DRI driver.
>
> What I would like to do is add a field to the DRIInfoRec struct:
>
> char* cardIdentifier or char* configIdentifier
>
> This option would set in the DRIScreenInit much like the busIdString is
> set during initialization.  Does anyone see any issues with this or does
> anyone have any technical objections on why this shouldn't be done?

I'm coming from a solaris driver background (and am actively working on a
drm port to solaris)

In solaris, it is much more common (practically required, really) that driver
"instances" are bound to a particular piece of hardware, by the OS level
driver loading proceedures.
  [This is because the OS is very rigid about deciding where to send
   interrupt notifications to]

As such, instances of drm in solaris already come associated with a
particular video card.

I would like to see a model where, instead of the X server telling
/dev/drm/card0, "You are bound to this card", the **drm** driver tells
the X server, "I am associated with this card ".
 (here is the base address, here is the PCI id, etc, etc)

I think this is a much cleaner overall design.
After all, you dont open /dev/fbX and tell it,
  "I want you to be associated with this video card now..."