On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 02:00:01PM -0600, D. Hageman wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Philip Brown wrote:
> > I think this is a much cleaner overall design.
> > After all, you dont open /dev/fbX and tell it,
> >   "I want you to be associated with this video card now..."
>
> The stuff that I talk about above was regarding individual driver
> configuration items that are currently being set by using environment
> variables.  It has no bearing on the logic or instrumentation used
> to bind a particular device to an OS interface.

Ah. You're just looking for a way to tag a particular video card for
user/program configuration option purposes.
Re-reading your original email, it looks like you already rejected
"do it by screen number", and seem to be looking for a more hardware-level
identifier.
So, why not do it by PCI vendor/devid ? That sort of information is visible
from the DRI level, I believe. I think its just another Xserver internal
call, isnt it?