Philip Brown wrote:
On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 10:52:34PM -0800, Ian Romanick wrote:

Philip Brown wrote:

So, why not do it by PCI vendor/devid ? That sort of information is visible
from the DRI level, I believe. I think its just another Xserver internal
call, isnt it?
So, what happens if I have four identical video cards in my system?
why would you want different configs for them?
There are probably as many different reasons as there are different people that have such configurations. One that I can think of really easy is that you might have different monitors one each (small flat panel on one, large CRT on another). A person might use each head for a different purpose. You might want different settings for the head that you have your UI on than the head that you do render pre-views on.

I believe it is functionality that people have come to expect on both MacOS and Windows, and probably on other Unices. I see no reason to artificially limit the functionality that we provide.