Managed to get my r128 working by lowering res/bpp (duh moment)

One more thing I noticed: in my wide journeys in getting my DRI to work one of
the things I did was to replace my distro-supplied (Mandrake 9.1) libGL.so
with the one off the DRI download site.  Now that I have working 3D accel, I
find that I hit a segfault if I try to go back to the Mandrake libGL.so .
Try replacing the Mandrake-supplied one, maybe it will work (and make sure
the symbolic links get sorted out).  Good luck