At 06:04 AM 15/6/2003, José Fonseca wrote:
> >The DRM is barely finished. It exists but it doesn't talk with the card
> >at all yet.
>
> This is the kernel modules?

Yes. DRM = kernel module

> The DRM modules to talk with the card, and what
> does "3D Driver" do (xc/lib/GL/mesa/src/drv)?

3D Driver = libGL driver and is a implementation of the OpenGL API
(based on Mesa) which translates the API calls into something the card
understands and sends to the card via the DRM. Since Mesa does already
most of the things, what a driver has to specifically do is:
 - translate the OpenGL state into hardware state, i.e., compute the
   hardware registers from the blending mode, depth testings mode,
   texture compositing, etc.
 - manage a texture cache in the onboard memory, i.e., to know where each
   texture is and when to up/download them.
 - translate the geometry data (vertices) into the hardware vertex
   format. This may seem a simple at first but since is _crucial_ for
   performance it's done in a complicated but very optimized way - with
   templates (like the C++ ones but in headers since the drivers are
   written in C). From a generic template, all special cases are
   generated (e.g., when the vertices have no texture, or no colors, or
   a combonation of these).

To write the 3D driver may seem an herculian task, and if one had to
write one from the start, it would be. But if one copy&pastes from a
existing driver it becomes feasible.

José Fonseca

This all mean that i need to work first on DRM module, and make it talk to the device and after that work on 3D drive to translate all requests to the DRM module. Is that correct?

I also noticed in the savage DRM there is a "BCI Initialization" that there isn't in the others modules of other devices, what exactaly is that?

I would like to know a doc with those functions related to the device, on thoses modules i found a lot of functions that request some kind of information of the device, where do i find any docs about them? And i also noticed the the modules are basically function definitions but where are they called from?

I don't know if i made myself clear. i'm sorry for that.

bye.
Max.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.NET email is sponsored by: eBay Great deals on office technology -- on eBay now! Click here: http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/711-11697-6916-5 _______________________________________________ Dri-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dri-devel