On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 21:19, José Fonseca wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 08:44:32PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 17:37, José Fonseca wrote:
> > > I mentioned XFree86.org because (supposedly) it has the bandwith and
> > > machine resources to host the DRI repository, and obviously XFree86 and
> > > DRI are two very close entities. That being said, it would have to be in
> > > a seperate CVS repository so that DRI project administrators could have
> > > the same flexibility as in the SF project. Having the DRI repository as
> > > branches in the main XFree86 CVS is an utopia, now and the foreseenable
> > > future, IMO.
> >
> > Why, what else do we have now but branches of XFree86 CVS, except that
> > they're in a different repository?
>
> You know very well that's not the issue. Which of the long inconclusive
> threads on the XFree86 forum about CVS commit access did you forgot?

None, I hope. There seemed to be an agreement that more committers would
be good, and a couple have been added already, including me. So I doubt
it would be impossible if we can come up with a good plan.

> > > But we really need to get a solution around the backup CVS server as it
> > > really damages the beneficial intervention of non-commiters can have
> > > since they are days behind what the commiters are doing.
> >
> > I wonder if it's really such a pressing problem though.
>
> Imagine you're working with somebody testing some code, but that person
> has no CVS write access. After you checkin your changes what will you
> gonna do: tell him to wait two or three days until the SF anonymous CVS
> backup updates, or email him patches. Either way it sucks since it slows
> development.

Remote development is slow by definition. When I work on something I
can't test myself, I usually have people test patches first and only
then commit anything.

Anyway, I'm not denying there's a problem, nevertheless I think we
shouldn't rush for the first best alternative. We should take the time
to determine the best solution.