On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 13:42, Dieter Nützel wrote:
> Am Samstag, 12. Juli 2003 12:29 schrieb Doug Rabson:

> > > Yes. HW TCL seems to be severely broken in general in the Radeon
> > > drivers, which can be worked around by setting the R200_NO_TCL (or
> > > RADEON_TCL_FORCE_DISABLE) environment variable.

> > > Why don't you just take a look at the screenshot? The red tiles aren't
> > > supposed to be red. This particular problem seems to be caused (or at
> > > least amplified) by many light sources.
> >
> > I see this kind of thing with my own 3D software (see
> > http://qdn.qubesoft.com) running on the r200 dri driver. I have a
> > feeling that its something to do with modifying light parameters. In my
> > 3D scenes, we render large numbers of objects, potentially each with
> > different lighting configurations, depending on which light objects are
> > in range of a given object. We call glLightX to modify the parameters of
> > the GL lights many times in a single frame. This appears to be the main
> > problem with the r200 rendering errors. FWIW, my software works very
> > nicely with nvidia hardware/drivers.
>
> You are free to test with the ATI binary drivers, too.
> Can you please try it?

The ATI OpenGL drivers on windows are pretty broken and I think we also
tried their linux drivers with similar results. As far as I can
remember, depth buffering was quite broken for some obscure reason. I
didn't look into it in any detail because it works fine under DX8 on ATI
hardware.

> BTW Q looks very cool.
> Are there any plans for Unix versions of Q2Demo?

I'm currently in the process of testing an alpha-quality version of Q
for linux. I've been using RedHat 9 with nvidia hardware as a reference
platform but it ought to work on any rpm-based distribution with
gcc-3.2.x and recent versions of libjpeg, libpng, libfreetype2, libxml2
and libqt-3.1. Hopefully I should have something ready for downloading
next week sometime.