Ian Romanick wrote:
> >I'm using a Radeon 7500 (RV200 QW) on an Athlon XP1700+,
> >but glxgears does only reach about 370-440 fps, which is
> >(AFAIR on IRC) way below the expected performance for that
> >machine. I tested both 4.3.0 (Debian pre1v1) and latest
> >binary DRI on top, but it didn't change much.
> >I tested both the DRM from 2.6.0-test3 and the DRM that is
> >shipped with 4.3.0 on top of 2.4.21-bk30.
> >glxgears tells me that direct rendering is enabled and indeed
> >the performance drops severely if I use it without DRM (down
> >to 60 fps). I tried to disable/enable all possible combinations
> >of driver tweaks (like RADEON_NO_IRQS etc.), but that didn't
> >help. You can find my X.log, my Xfree-config, glxinfo output
> >and lspci -vvv at http://www.tzi.de/~jmm/radeon-7500-dri-slowness.tar.gz
>
> The only thing that looks at all odd in any of that is:
>
> (WW) System lacks support for changing MTRRs.
>
> Does your kernel have MTRR support?  If not, try rebuilding with that
> enabled.  That should give you a healthy speed boost.

This was left over from when I was testing the performance w/o MTRRs,
sorry for the confusion. With MTRRs enables I get the average 350-440 fps.

gandalf:/home/jmm# cat /proc/mtrr
reg00: base=0x00000000 (   0MB), size= 512MB: write-back, count=1
reg01: base=0xc0000000 (3072MB), size=  64MB: write-combining, count=1
reg07: base=0xd0000000 (3328MB), size=  64MB: write-combining, count=2

Is my RV200 QW a regular Radeon 7500 or some lame el cheapo model?
What's the expected glxgears rate for my kind of setup?

Cheers,
        Moritz