On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Chris Ison wrote:

> Because of this the core of the linux team appear to be more concerned
> about getting the job done due to the fact that some big money is
> supporting and using linux. Although linux is FREE, its pholisiphy has
> changed from one of "Screw you Billy Goat, I'm not paying for your kids
> college" to "people are depending on us to get this right, no matter
> what".

You have no clue.

The philosophy has _never_ been "screw you Billy Goat". That's Sun and
Oracle.

The Linux philosophy from day #1 has been "Make it work".

This is why Linux isn't into stupid theoretical ideals like microkernels
that the rest of the industry was looking at in the 90's. Because beauty
doesn't _matter_ if it doesn't work. The real beauty is in having an
efficient system that does what it is supposed to do.

This is why Linux tried to follow the POSIX spec from before it was even
released. Because that makes things _work_.

This is why Linux has always been agnostic about the FSF, and why Linux
was _the_ cause for "Open Source" vs "Free Software".

Face it, you're wrong. Linux has always been about being pragmatic, and
claiming otherwise in order to prove some moral point not only shows a
total lack of knowledge about the real state of affairs, but is also
showing off a total lack of sense.

The fact is, the reason Linux has been successful has been exactly that
pragmatic underpinning. Wake up and smell the roses. If you expect users
to care deeply about anything else than "it works", you're doing your
users a disfavour.

                        Linus