On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 05:21:04PM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 17:11, Larry McVoy wrote:

> > > I know bk is the best version control system in the universe
> > > feature-wise, no need to say it again. And again. And again. (And again)
> > > I still don't want to use it.
> >
> > I'm not sure that anyone is asking you to use it.  What's wrong with the
> > people who want to use BK use BK and the people who want to use CVS use CVS?
>
> Nothing whatsoever. But IMHO there's something wrong with people who
> keep trying to shove non-free tools down everyone else's throats.

The problem with that statement is that it implies that you speak for
everyone, in particular the people who have commit rights in the CVS
tree.

If you do, it would be nice if those 31 would step foward and say so.

Regardless, I fail to see how your statement above is supported once you
have the bk2cvs/bk2svn gateways.  At that point you aren't tied to that
non-free software at all, people can use it as long as it helps them and
stop when it doesn't and at the point they stop they will have captured
at least a factor of 10 more information than the plan you are advocating.

Do you think it is OK to lose information to make sure that people other
than yourself don't touch BK?  If that's so, you are hurting the community
over a licensing issue which doesn't effect anyone who doesn't want to
be effected.  Seems a tad extreme.
--
---
Larry McVoy              lm at bitmover.com          http://www.bitmover.com/lm