> > I would suggest adding more ioctls:
> >
> >     1. Lock the drm driver against future connections from 3d driver(s).
> >
> >     2. Return the number of current connections.
> >
> >     3. Move the aperture - should only succeed when nothing else is connected.
> >
> > Also, when aperture is moved DRM driver can simply refuse connection to
> > older 3d drivers.
>
> Does the aperture ever (have to) move during the X server life though?

I would not care. However, I know that at least Window 98 drivers have
default position (0) unless capture is enabled. Also, I suspect that when
one calls Video BIOS with framebuffer position anywhere other than 0 the
BIOS then toggles the hard reset line.

> Our idea would be an ioctl to set the aperture position on startup and
> (possibly another one) for 3D clients to let the DRM know what they
> think the aperture position is. Then the DRM could fix up client
> commands as necessary. This would work with any 3D driver (except
> probably old incompatible ones from GATOS :).

Well, fixing up commands might not be so trivial. With 4.3.0 drivers it
turned out it was a lot easier to fix the 3d client. Of course, I am not
an expert..

                         best

                            Vladimir Dergachev