On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 15:02, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

> > > I would suggest adding more ioctls:
> > >
> > >     1. Lock the drm driver against future connections from 3d driver(s).
> > >
> > >     2. Return the number of current connections.
> > >
> > >     3. Move the aperture - should only succeed when nothing else is connected.
> > >
> > > Also, when aperture is moved DRM driver can simply refuse connection to
> > > older 3d drivers.
> >
> > Does the aperture ever (have to) move during the X server life though?
>
> I would not care. However, I know that at least Window 98 drivers have
> default position (0) unless capture is enabled. Also, I suspect that when
> one calls Video BIOS with framebuffer position anywhere other than 0 the
> BIOS then toggles the hard reset line.

Why? (CC'ing Hui Yu, who should be able to comment on this)

Would resetting the aperture to the default position on server shutdown
deal with this adequately?

> > Our idea would be an ioctl to set the aperture position on startup and
> > (possibly another one) for 3D clients to let the DRM know what they
> > think the aperture position is. Then the DRM could fix up client
> > commands as necessary. This would work with any 3D driver (except
> > probably old incompatible ones from GATOS :).
>
> Well, fixing up commands might not be so trivial. With 4.3.0 drivers it
> turned out it was a lot easier to fix the 3d client.

The 3D drivers will be fixed at any rate. The idea is to preserve as
much backwards compatibility with old 3D drivers as possible, at least
to prevent them from taking down the machine or similar catastrophic
failure.