I'd be willing to help on the 2D side, I just need to get ahold of an
old savage board to test with.   I have an old laptop with a savage ix
in it, but it's be in the process of being sold, so I doubt I'll be
able to mess with it, plus there is no 3d support for savage3D core yet
anyway.
Assuming this card will work:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A397-16MB
Perhaps I will pick it up and start working on the 2D side after the
holidays.

Felix, have you compared the utah savage 3D/MX/IX drivers with the S3
savage4 code?  I'm wondering how difficult it would be to add 3D
support for the older chips. old IX boards are dirt cheap:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=S3298SDR-8MTV

Alex