whoops.  I'll have to check that out.  Can you point me to the code?
I'm assuming savage_span in the DRI somewhere?  Also, only 16 bpp works
at the moment on savage4.  I've only been able to run one 3d app at 32
bpp, glxheads from the mesa demos.  all the rest spit out this error
message:
savagedma.c:39: SavageDMACommit: Assertion: 'end <= dmaBuff->allocEnd'
failed.
aborted.
Perhaps not enough memory for much 3d at 32 bpp?  my card only has 16
MB.

at 32 bpp, glxheads shows the same corruption that glxgears, etc. had
before I fixed the linear/tile code.  I suspect I'll need to muck
around with the bitmap descriptors and tiling regs again and find out
what's breaking 32 bpp.

Alex