On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 16:25:43 +0100
Michel Dänzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 12:29, Felix Kühling wrote:
[snip]

> > We discussed this before and it was concluded that there needs to be
> > some sort of high priority command queue. IIRC certain hardware (was it
> > i8xx?) has such a high priority queue. Is there a good way to implement
> > one in software if the hardware doesn't have such an extra queue?
>
> Radeons do have two streams, but they're not strictly about high and low
> priority. We use the primary stream for the ring buffer and the
> secondary for indirect buffers. It might be interesting to explore
> whether driving the primary in push/PIO mode would allow to handle this
> better, and what if any impact it would have on overall performance.

Sorry for spamming ... I just had another idea. Can't we use MMIO for
buffer swapping? It's just a couple of blits, isn't it. With MMIO there
would be virtually no delay. And buffer swaps aren't that frequent
(especially when you're syncing with the refresh) so that the
performance loss due to MMIO should be neglactable.

Felix