On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 20:57, Felix KÃhling wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 16:25:43 +0100
> Michel DÃnzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 12:29, Felix KÃhling wrote:
> > >
> > > We discussed this before and it was concluded that there needs to be
> > > some sort of high priority command queue. IIRC certain hardware (was it
> > > i8xx?) has such a high priority queue. Is there a good way to implement
> > > one in software if the hardware doesn't have such an extra queue?
> >
> > Radeons do have two streams, but they're not strictly about high and low
> > priority. We use the primary stream for the ring buffer and the
> > secondary for indirect buffers. It might be interesting to explore
> > whether driving the primary in push/PIO mode would allow to handle this
> > better, and what if any impact it would have on overall performance.
>
> If the two streams are not about priority, are they processed in
> parallel?

No, you can think of indirect buffers as secondary stream detours of the
primary stream.

> Is it necessary to use the secondary stream for indirect buffers or
> could they go to the primary stream as well?

I don't think that's possible. The primary stream is geared towards the
ring buffer while the secondary is geared towards indirect buffers.

> In that case we could keep the secondary stream mostly idle and only
> use it for low latency swapping.

Even if it was possible, this couldn't be done asynchronously. AFAICT we
can only try and keep the latency of the primary stream low.

--
Earthling Michel DÃnzer      |     Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer