On Sad, 2004-04-17 at 06:44, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> 3) Neither of these is ok, must go into non-free because binary-only
> firmware doesnt meet DFSG (no source) regardless of its license.  Either
> whole driver must go into non-free, or a crippled driver is provided in
> main and a userspace loader in non-free to add the missing
> functionality.

This is the answer I was given by lawyers. The analogy they use is
an interesting but sensible one. If I add a chapter to a book it is
clearly a derivative work, if I bundle the one work with a second
pamphlet containing the chapter I wrote then it is not.

> 3 is a rather zealous approach, but seemed to be the approach that the
> "do-ers" on this issue are taking.  I sympathize with the idealists on

I don't think its "zealots" so much as appropriate legal practice. In
the Linux case we now have a good hotplug firmware loading interface
and drivers can practically ask for specific firmware. It also reduces
the unswappable kernel size