This is a post from the Cairo list. It benchmarks a Cairo program against image,
xrender, glx implementations of Cario. You can see that 2D drawing is a the
minimum 10x faster and sometimes 200x or more when using the 3D hardware. Data
like this is the driving force for bring up xserver on a standalone OpenGL/mesa
platform.