--- Alan Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For one benchmark on a high end 3D card. For a lot of hardware the
> same will not be true - although it is likely to be for things like
> alpha blend which a lot of chips can't do in the 2D engine although some
> could.

It's going to be two years before xserver/cairo/OpenGL are mainstream products.
By then today's high end 3D card is going to be a cheap mainstream offering. The
coming of MS Longhorn is going to cause of shift in typical PC configurations to
ship with 3D hardware standard. Microsoft is going to cause this shift no matter
what happens with Linux. It's just up to us to decide if we want to take
advantage of it.

Don't think of this as 2D vs 3D. Think of this as programmed IO versus
coprocessor. In our current technology the coprocessor solution is way faster.

BTW there is almost no price difference anymore for low end 3D hardware versus
low end 2D hardware. Playing around on pricewatch they're both about $35.

> Alan

=====
Jon Smirl