I wasn't thinking about IGP style hardware when I answered. But you do have to
wonder if that solution will still be around two years from now.  It probably
will be but it will be the most basic, cheapest solution that ships for free on
every motherboard. It may become tomorrow's minimal VGA standard.

IGP solutions are going to suck at running MS Longhorn so people may not buy
them. People don't really notice the slow performance of IGP today since most
apps don't use 3D. But when their entire desktop depends on it most will pay
$35+ for a better external solution.

--- Pawel Salek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 04/21/2004 10:32:13 PM, Jon Smirl wrote:
> >>  Clearly we do 8). Its not clear that the 3D hardware will be the
> >> final  result, we may see 3D textur render/triangle setup in the CPU
> >> instead  by  then but either way the same holds
> >
> >  I'm not sure we'll ever see that. Memory bandwidth is the problem, not
> > CPU/GPU  processing power. You want to keep the setup with the GPU to
> > minimize  the memory  load on the main processor.
>
> I guess it depends what you do:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/20/intel_extreme/
>
> "In February, it emerged that the new engine, which will support DirectX
> 9, only offers pixel shader 2.0 technology - all geometry processing is
> offloaded onto the host CPU."

=====
Jon Smirl