--- Ian Romanick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Part of the point is that Linux has always be useful on "yesterday's"
> hardware.  Thanks to organizations like FreeGeek.org (they're in my
> local area), hardware that you and I call garbage is getting a new lease
> on life.  It would be a shame to render that hardware useless (pun
> partially intended) when we don't have to.  I'd rather have 90%
> functionality on 90% of the hardware than 100% functionality on 50% of
> the hardware.

D3D software emulates everything just like mesa does so even 10 year old
machines will program just like new ones, just not as fast. MS allows you to
address this problem by letting you choose different levels of eye candy in
Longhorn GUI. They have three levels of control basic, medium and high. The
levels are designed to not use things that are likely to be software implemented
at the low levels. Apps/controls pick up on these level and adjust their GUI
too. In their system you can have your candy and eat it too.

=====
Jon Smirl