> You are mixing things. Mode setting has nothing to do with rendering. OpenGL
> is a rendering client. It produces commands sent to the low level kernel
> driver and provides a 3D API, but it's not the only one. In this regard,
> fbcon is a client too and XFree 2D accel is another one.

But we are rendering to draw fonts, clearing a area of the screen,copyarea.
If we are to have a universal solution it needs to OpenGL. Either that or
mode switching stays in the kernel.

Speaking of bloat in the kernel. When will the crypto and TCP/IP stack be
moved to userspace. The networking code alone is over 17 megs in size.
Bloat bloat bloat.