Jon Smirl writes:
 > I'm putting together a document for Kernel Summit that describes the issues
 > around graphics device drivers. The kernel developers are currently making first
 > pass comments on it.  As soon as I fold their comments in I'll post it to
 > fb-dev, dri-dev and wherever else is appropriate for the next round of comments.
 > Nobody is proposing final solutions yet, I'm just trying to collect everyone's
 > opinion.

I fear that we will get a very Linux-centric view on device drivers.

This will leave us with device drivers for Linux and a different ones
(or none!) for the rest of the world. From an X developers point of
view this is a support nightmare as he is the first one users will
turn to if things don't work as expected.
Furthermore I'd argue that as little as necessary should live in the
kernel space. One thing that - in my opinion - should *not* live in
there is mode detection and initialization.
First of all, we will not be able to do generic VESA mode initialization
in the kernel (unless we decide to stick a complete x86 emulator into the
kernel).
Then many driver developers often take a very naive apporach at things
and produce code that I know I don't want to see in my kernel.
One can try to educate them which may not always be possible - especailly
in the case of closed source drivers.

Egbert.