Michel DÃnzer wrote:

It doesn't seem to change the reported maximum texture sizes though for
the r200 at least (could be different on radeon I guess), does it
actually support using agp memory for texturing? Some environment
variable suggests that so though.

In contrast to radeon, r200 only uses the GART for some extension IIRC.

I'd like to see this behavior become optional. The vast majority of users want "normal" AGP texturing, not a funky version of NV_vertex_array_range (that's really used for textures).

We'd need to disable the GART heap (see RADEONDRIGartHeapInit in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati/radeon_dri.c) and communicate that to the client-side driver some how. To maintain backwards compatibility, we'd probably want to initialize the GART heap to be 0 bytes. If the client-side driver detects a DRM version less than 1.6 or detects that the GART heap is less than the size of the aperture, it could use whatever was left over as "normal" AGP texturing.

Sounds like a good project for someone. ;)

Couldn't it just use the largest GART size possible (set by the bios),
or would this have some negative consequences?

It could waste a lot of RAM.

Yup. This is one of the bad parts of the AGP implementation on Linux. Once the AGP aperture is setup, it always has non-swappable memory backing it. If you set a 256MB aperture, it is as if you took 256MB out of your computer. We really need a mechanism to say "This range of the aperture doesn't need any backing." This could have security implications. What if one process removes the backing from a region of the AGP aperture a the same instant another process tries to texture from that range? Random memory reads? System crash? Dunno...

From Windows to Linux, servers to mobile, InstallShield X is the one
installation-authoring solution that does it all. Learn more and