--- Ian Romanick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >>Couldn't it just use the largest GART size possible (set by the bios),
> >>or would this have some negative consequences?
I think the Idea Here is to fallback after a failed bind!!!  I.E. AGPSize
== 124MB where only a 64MB largest GART size possible.  Too "AGPSize =
<largest GART size possible>;" befour trying to bind, dumping a warning as
well.

> > It could waste a lot of RAM.
>
> Yup.  This is one of the bad parts of the AGP implementation on Linux.
> Once the AGP aperture is setup, it always has non-swappable memory
> backing it.  If you set a 256MB aperture, it is as if you took 256MB out
>
> of your computer.  We really need a mechanism to say "This range of the
> aperture doesn't need any backing."  This could have security
The 'owner' of mapped AGP space would be the only one who could unmap.  As
I see it contexts can't share AGP space so there is no sharing issue.

Can we just bind all of the *requested* AGP space and then store other(non
AGP) data there and swap that when needed?  Could we also extend this to
being able to use video ram for programs as well?  I know back in the days
of dos it was quite posible to use not only video ram but IO regs like the
speeker's power bit for storing data.

> implications.  What if one process removes the backing from a region of
> the AGP aperture a the same instant another process tries to texture
> from that range?  Random memory reads?  System crash?  Dunno...

This just can't heppen, no sharing of AGP space, right?