Mike Mestnik wrote:
--- Ian Romanick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Michel Dänzer wrote:

It could waste a lot of RAM.

Yup. This is one of the bad parts of the AGP implementation on Linux. Once the AGP aperture is setup, it always has non-swappable memory backing it. If you set a 256MB aperture, it is as if you took 256MB out

of your computer. We really need a mechanism to say "This range of the aperture doesn't need any backing." This could have security

The 'owner' of mapped AGP space would be the only one who could unmap. As I see it contexts can't share AGP space so there is no sharing issue.

In our case, I guess the owner is the X-server? Or is it the DRM? Hmm...

implications. What if one process removes the backing from a region of the AGP aperture a the same instant another process tries to texture from that range? Random memory reads? System crash? Dunno...

This just can't heppen, no sharing of AGP space, right?

Video memory and AGP memory is accessed by all direct rendering processes and the X-server.

From Windows to Linux, servers to mobile, InstallShield X is the one
installation-authoring solution that does it all. Learn more and