Michel DÃnzer wrote:
A simpler option would be to axe support for AGPSize...

I don't think we should break working configurations as long as we
can support them so easily.
Ok.

Couldn't it just use the largest GART size possible (set by the
bios), or would this have some negative consequences?

It could waste a lot of RAM.
But is this a problem? It surely eats away some of the 3GB user address
space I believe (afaik the low-mem kernel address space agpgart takes is gone anyway), but unless the driver is really stupid and just fills it up even if it doesn't need to then I can't see a problem.

Currently, if you set the gart size manually higher than what's
possible (set in bios), dri will just get disabled due to missing
agp support, which I consider bad behaviour, and that you get a
useless error message in that case doesn't help neither. (II)
RADEON(0): [agp] 262144 kB allocated with handle 0x00000001 (EE)
RADEON(0): [agp] Could not bind (EE) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP failed to
initialize. Disabling the DRI. (II) RADEON(0): [agp] You may want
to make sure the agpgart kernel module is loaded before the radeon
kernel module.

IMHO only the 'Could not bind' error could use some clarification,
That would be a good start...

otherwise I find this the only sane way to deal with an impossible configuration.
I like what's suggested by Nicolai.

Roland

From Windows to Linux, servers to mobile, InstallShield X is the one
installation-authoring solution that does it all. Learn more and