On Iau, 2004-09-09 at 00:45, Ian Romanick wrote:
> So, what happens in x86-64 where sizeof(unsigned long) is 4 bytes for
> IA-32 apps and 8 bytes for x86-64 apps?  I guess since it's a parameter
> to the ioctl (rather than embedded in a structure) it should be okay,
> but I just want to be sure...

Be cautious here - a bus address is 64bits on some builds of x86-32
kernels. Only virtual addresses are 32bit limited. Also don't forget
that you run 32bit apps on 64bit platforms.

Linux uses __u32/__u64/__s32/__s64 to be specific about such types and
to make it easier to build ioctls that don't need magic translation glue