Alex Deucher wrote:
And now the really interesting thing:
The results marked with 1) are obtained BEFORE running fglrx, the result
marked with 2) AFTER running fglrx, i.e. when I did not reboot between
running the fglrx driver and the radeon driver (which in the past lead
to lockups, but driver switching now seems to work fine, in both
directions). This was a completely repeatable effect, I even figured out
that starting the X server with fglrx is not enough, but a simple
glxinfo when it's running triggers it.
Any ideas what's causing this? Maybe fglrx reconfigures the card's
caches or something like that? It would be nice if we could get that
additional 10-15% performance, especially if it is as simple as writing
a single register...

compare a reg dump (script from Hui):
http://www.botchco.com/alex/radeon/mergedfb/cvs/DRI/hy0/radeon_dump.tgz

Sounds like a good idea. There are quite some differences, though I couldn't see any obvious reason (e.g. just checking out some registers).
If someone wants to take a look I've uploaded the dumps here:
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/dri_experimental/r200_dumps.tar.gz

dump 1 is taken within radeon driver, after running glxgears.
dump 2 is taken within fglrx driver, after startup
dump 3 is taken within fglrx driver, after glxinfo
dump 4 is taken within radeon driver, after startup
dump 5 is taken within radeon driver, after glxgears

All of course in chronological order...

Roland

------------------------------------------------------- SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users. Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click -- _______________________________________________ Dri-devel mailing list Dri-devel@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dri-devel