Could you test that your patch works with regular freedesktop.org DRM driver as far as 2d is concerned ? It should print a message in the log that DRI is enabled, though, of course, you would not be able to use R300 Mesa driver.
I gave it a try, no problem.
patch: r420_drm-microcode-fix.patch

I am committing it now.. Should show up before tomorrow morning. (I am using nfs over ipsec over wireless, it is very slow, but that's where my tree is)

3) I can enable more pipes for r420 cards, but am unable to test it on 420 cards with fewer pipes.
Do I just add this and wait for someone to complain?

A better way would be to read carefully specs of R4xx cards on ATI website to find out how many actual pipes are available :)

This page is more helpful: http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=88&var2=0

        pipes   value
My card    16    (7 < 1)
max R300    8    (3 < 1)

Why do you the value is 7 ? According to my docs the number of pipes is a magic value that should be architecture dependent. Of course, my documentation is for R300 2d only..

I would expect that there is no easy formula.

                            best

                              Vladimir Dergachev

If we ignore RV350: My guess would be that the value is equal to num_pipes/2 - 1.

Another guess would be that it is safe to set the value to the max possible numbers of pipes for each card type:

      value
R420  (7 < 1)
R300  (3 < 1)

cvs -z3 diff -u

E-mail the patch to me - the reason that R4xx cards are not enabled there is that I was not certain whether R3xx microcode would work for them.
Thank you

Rune Petersen