On 6/10/05, Jesse Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > A lot of embedded systems are going with OpenGL/ES. EGL is derived
> > from the OpenGL/ES spec. Going with OpenGL/ES is a cross platform
> > solution for them, KAA would be kdrive specific.
>
> Right, I'm just saying that alternatives exist for people who don't want
> the ~100k lines EGL code (plus the kernel fb and drm drivers).

You're mixing the Linux implementation of EGL up with the EGL spec.
For example, there is one proprietary embedded OpenGL/ES+EGL
implementation that is 100KB of code including the library and
drivers. There is an open source version at around 300K on
sourceforge. OpenGL/ES is being driven by the cell phone industry.

The Xegl model lets you pick where you get your drivers from. It just
runs on top of a driver stack providing the OpenGL/ES+EGL API. The
embedded systems I am aware of are ignoring mesa, drm, fbdev and and
building their own optimized OpenGL/ES stacks.  The win is that the
same OpenGL/ES stack can be used with other operating systems.

Conversations that I have had with Nvidia reps say that they will
build a binary release OpenGL/ES stack for Xegl. That will let them
support their latest hardware on Linux without releasing their IP.

The mesa/DRM/fbdev solution will probably end up being used by Intel
(815/915/etc) and by people who have to have open source drivers.

--
Jon Smirl