> I'm working on changing DRM such that the master node does not need to
> run as root and instead can be a normal user. Because of this I can't
> leave AddMap the way it is. The security hole is that a normal user
> could allocate multi/large shared areas, consume all of kernel VM
> space and crash the kernel.
>
> Second choice would be to make a new map type, DRM_VSHM. The specific
> driver would initmap the needed space at load time. The code
> implementing it would be identical to DRM_SHM, you just need another
> map type defined so that you can tell them apart. This scheme does not
> require anyone to be root and does not have a kernel DOS hole.

At the moment I'm having similiar issues with Radeon XvMC it initially
will require root as I'm not sure how to submit the command streams
outside of indirect buffers which are a root only thing...

I'd also like to have a separate sarea for storing this stuff, I don't
care for V4L, XvMC is what is supported out there now and NVIDIA provide
it and don't provide v4l... also there is no need for this to be
in-kernel, its only a DMA stream and a sync point...

I think we should have a root master process to be honest, it can run from
init and also have it do any mode setting type business... it can operate
like the DDXes do today, except it won't do any mode settting or anything
until prompted by the user app... I just feel in-kernel is going to become
bloated with what is the DDX _dri.x file now ... just because MS put lots
of things in kernel doesn't mean we have to...

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
Linux kernel - DRI, VAX / pam_smb / ILUG