Dave Airlie writes:

 > > I was just a little perplexed (as I'm sure Egbert was too) that the bug
 > > hadn't been updated by Paul and all of a sudden it appears in the kernel
 > > first without being in the DRM CVS for at least a little while to get
 > > tested here.
 >
 > Paul and Egbert discussed it on the bug at the time Paul was working on it
 > .. I was happier with Pauls initial approach for the kernel, and Egberts
 > first patch I also felt to be overly intrusive from the start, and
 > uncaring of backwards compat, i.e. fine for SuSE distros but not for the
 > kernel as we would break old Xs....

We've discussed the intrusiveness of my patch and I was able to give
an explanation on why I did it this way. I'm not sure if all the
issues that I had where addressed in Paul's code.

Non of the patches that I've posted had problems with backward compatibility.
At least not across the kernel/user space interface.
Originally I had one that wasn't however that had been fixed before
I put patches into the fd.o bugzilla.
The original patch did solve the backward compatibility
issue in a different way. I've reinvestigated this issue
and came up with a simpler solution.

 > > I guess we need to pull Paul's Mesa fixes into the Mesa CVS too now ??
 >
 > Yes they probably do need to be applied alright, really Egberts patch need
 > to take more care of what Paul was aiming for with compatibility... I
 > didn't get enough time to full review his last patch, but I would prefer
 > to see it split up into the drm/Mesa/Xorg pieces so each can be assessed
 > by each team, the days of the drm being a part of Xorg are coming to an
 > end...

Dave, that's what I've already done with my latest set.
Also compatibility has never been an issue with the patches that
I've posted to bugzilla - unless it has been broken accidentally
which I would be interested to hear about. That's why I've posted
the code for more widespread testing.

 > I was hoping the two of them would sort it out and supply me with a "final
 > solution" as I've no access to any equipment using this stuff, and
 > couldn't ever get anyone to review Egberts patch until Paul turned up with
 > his own..

Hm.

Egbert.