> Looks like that  Dave Airlie has pushed another set of patches
> made by Paul Mackerras into the DRM code.
> My patches support a wider range of chipsets (Matrox, R128 and Radeon)
> and provide a framework which makes it easy to add ioctl32 support
> to more chipsets.
> Furthermore they have support for both the old style ioctl32 support
> and the one that uses compat_alloc_user_space() so they should work
> on a wider range of kernels.

And this is probably all fine for DRM CVS or Xorg, but for the kernel it
just isn't acceptable, I'd be flamed down if I pushed this patch kernel
side, its just a fact of life... I would have to remove all the macros and
old style ioctl32 stuff to get this into the kernel, without any way of
testing it ... I'm not willing to do that, I'm going to port over the mga
and r128 work you've done to Paul's scheme and push them kernel side ...

The changes to types need to clarify what exactly breaks where, I'm not as
worried about the interactions between X and Mesa as I am about old
Xs and new kernels... if we change the sarea size in X will it run on an
old kernel, if I upgrade to a new kernel without changing X will it still
work? I'm only taking care of the DRM, really the userspace stuff is going
to have to be up to someone with more authority than me... (I've asked for
people to review your patch when you first published it, no-one did..)

Breakage in X-> DRI isn't so bad as a release will be consistent.. it'll
just break ATI binary drivers...

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
Linux kernel - DRI, VAX / pam_smb / ILUG