> Dave, if you cannot test this why do you want to port my code
> to Paul's sceme - which seems to be much more error prone than
> using my sceme?

As Pauls scheme was written from what I could see from a kernel
developers point of view, it is maintainable for other kernel developers..
reviewing it didn't take much work... I'm going to look over all the
patchses again from scratch...

> Furthermore if you don't want to do it I would be willing to do that.
> But I'm not going to remove all the macros as they are there for a
> reason. Furthermore the DRM code contains a lot of other macros already
> which have been accepted by the kernel folks.
> Ripping out the old non-'compat_alloc_userspace()' sceme would
> tremendously simplify the macros so I'd assume they will look much
> more acceptable to kernel people.
>
> Again, the macros are there to make adding ioctl32 support to other
> drivers easy. I don't expect people will bother if it's a lot of
> work, error prone if they don't even have a chance to test it.

I've been spending most of my time ripping out macros from the kernel, you
have to realise they get in the way of maintainability more often than
not, especially for non-DRM people to audit and check over the code, and
patch code themselves...  writing code is a one-time effort, reading it
happens much more often, so you should optimise for the read case which is
a kernel developer fixing a bug.. so no more hiding things in the kernel
to make life easier for the author....

> I've investigated this and I did not encounter a situation where anything
> breaks.
> I would certainly be able to push the X stuff. However since this is
> dependent on the DRI bits it should be pushed toegther. I assume there
> there is a scenario on how to do this, that's been used in the past.
> Therefore I'm looking for someone who knows how this was done.
>
> Maybe Alan can help me on this?

I think to look at the comment you make about changing the handle size and
what if any effect this can have... I can only see the mga passing them
across the kernel/user space boundary ...

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
Linux kernel - DRI, VAX / pam_smb / ILUG