On Sunday 14 August 2005 09:59, Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:
> What are the minimum requirements of Xegl in terms of extensions
> supported?

Not much.  See http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Xgl, but the major
requirements are:

NV_texture_rectangle
ARB_texture_border_clamp
ARB_multitexture
ARB_texture_env_combine

> Which modifications to a driver are necessary for EGL?
> Wich parts of the driver (DRM, fb, DRI) have to be modified?

The drm/fb layer has to be smart enough to set video modes, and the DRI driver
needs some new entrypoints to translate that functionality to the
EGL_MESA_screen_surface extension.

> Will Xegl run fast enough on old hardware like the
> RagePro 3D or the SiS 305 or Sis 6326?

Well no one has tried, so no one knows yet.  mach64 will likely have
correctness issues due to its craptastic alpha combiner.  I would expect
acceptable (for some value of acceptable) performance for cards at about the
voodoo3 or rage128 level, and anything below that really depends on how
clever the driver is and whether the hardware has useful features we can take
advantage of.

I'm hoping to get back to hacking on EGL stuff once 7.0 lands.

- ajax