> In that sense, I'd consider NV_vertex_program as bloat just as well.
> Applications really always can deal with not available non-standard
> extensions very well.

About GL_NV_vertex_program:
1) It was the first nice vertex program interface and is used in many
old tutorials on vertex shading.
2) Currently Mesa layers GL_ARB_vertex_program on top of
GL_NV_vertex_program. A driver that already advertizes
GL_ARB_vertex_program can support GL_NV_vertex_program for free.
3) It is a widespread extension, not a Nvidia-specific one: It is
implemented by the i915 driver, the mga driver, the tdfx driver, the
r300 driver, the non-free 3Dlabs drivers and
of course all the Nvidia drivers.
4) I added an option to deactivate it.

Philipp