I know that there has been some discussion about the r500 chip and how
tough it will be to create a working driver for it. However, I for one
would love to see an open alternative to the fglrx and I want to know,
where to start? I own a laptop with a X1600 mobility radeon card.

The current status of the radeon driver is that xorg bails out with
"no devices found".
Is there any possibility to make the radeon driver to recognize my
video card and at least try to initialize it? Where do I start? Are
there any tools I can run or anything that will help a more
experienced developer to point me in the right direction?

Cheers.