On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 14:57:00 -0600
Brian Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Corbin Simpson wrote:
> > Matthias Hopf wrote:
> >> I'm in the process of skimming through the 3D programming documentation
> >> of the r6xx chips. AMD announced on XDC 2008 to make it public, so it
> >> will show up pretty soon. It's one massive beast, more than 650 pages...
> >>
> >> Obviously, the first step to get 3D working on r6xx is to update the
> >> radeon DRM to support these chips, and I think I've understood enough
> >> now to start working on this thing. I assume working in a public user
> >> repro is the best way to collaborate, but I'd be fine working in a
> >> branch on the main repro or just sending patches, just what fits best.
> >>
> >> r6xx looks substantially different than previous chipsets, but I think
> >> it still fits into the radeon driver. If it turns out that for exposing
> >> additional features and using DRI2 it's better to split out parts, that
> >> can be decided later on.
> >>
> >> Any comments on advancing here, or pitfalls to avoid? Has anybody
> >> already some ideas how to restructure things if necessary?
> >>
> >> So long
> >>
> >> Matthias
> >>

> > Mm, can't wait for delicious documentation.
> >
> > I was envisioning a completely separate r600 DRI driver for r6xx+,
> > since, if I understand correctly, the r6xx 3D engine is a completely new
> > chip with nothing in common with the older Radeons. On the other hand,
> > though, I haven't seen the actual documentation, so I have no idea
> > exactly how different this new chipset actually is.
> >
> > On the DRM side, Alex has added the r6xx microcode to the DRM, and it
> > doesn't seem like it should be too much work to get it going, but again
> > I have no idea what I'm talking about.
> >
> > Overall though, I think that building on the previous Radeon DRI is
> > probably going to be necessary, at least in the short run.
>
> If the new driver won't be an incremental change to the existing radeon
> drivers, I'd recommend basing it on Gallium.
>
> -Brian

I agree that gallium is the way to go, but it seems that they can get
somethings in less time than gallium will need to mature a bit and
become useable. I have deeply experienced the difference btw the
easier to start from somethings working than to start from scratch.

Cheers,
Jerome Glisse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>