On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 12:13 -0500, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Pekka Paalanen <p...@iki.fi> wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:12:07 +0100
> > Michel Dänzer <mic...@daenzer.net> wrote:

> >> At least one of the headers in question - radeon_bo.h - isn't in
> >> the kernel (and it probably makes no sense to put userland
> >> specific headers like that in the kernel) and is outdated in
> >> include/drm.
> >
> > Now that we are talking about headers, what is the proper layout
> > of *installed* headers?
> >
> > I'm leaving out $prefix in the following.
> >
> > include/drm/
> >        I'd assume that should contain only the kernel headers,
> > and those are going a away soonish or ASAP. (krh already tried to
> > remove them ;-)
> >
> > include/drm/
> >        seems to be also containing libdrm_radeon user API headers?
> >
> > include/intel_bufmgr.h
> >        libdrm_intel has their header sitting in the root include
> > dir.
> >
> > include/nouveau/
> >        almost all libdrm_nouveau headers are here, except
> > nouveau_drmif.h, which should probably be moved.
> >
> > include/xf86drm.h
> > include/xf86drmMode.h
> >        and then these two...
> >
> > So, each of the three drivers have their headers installed
> > differently, and Nouveau manages to fail even in that. :-)
> >
> > What should installed header tree look like?
>
> Yup, as far as I can tell that's what it looked like before my re-org
> and it's what it finally looks like again.  I defnitely agree that
> it's not an ideal layout, but we can't change it without breaking
> things.  However, now that we use .pc files we should be able to move
> things around without recent libdrm users breaking.
>
> I'm not sure if it's worthwhile though, but if we're moving files
> around, it's something we can do (mostly) on a per driver basis, but
> we should of course agree on what kind of layout we want.  I'd suggest
> keeping only kernel header files in include/drm, moving xf86drm.h and
> xf86drmMode.h to /usr/include/libdrm and moving chipset headers to
> /usr/include/libdrm/$chipset.

So, I was completely shocked when I was alerted on irc that libdrm no
longer builds on FreeBSD.  It appears that you totally whacked drm.h
which is a common file shared and installed by all platforms, which has
has all of the conditionals ripped from it and now blindly includes only
linux bits.  I have not yet determined if other such damage has
occurred, but any of the includes that came from shared-core and are
required for the build or that get installed should not have been mucked
with.

WTF?

robert.

> cheers,