>I have some problems when I'm executing the media-filter command and/or
the index-all command. It seems that, because those two scripts needs to
manipulates >files in the dspace/search directory, I am forced to stop
Tomcat and the web application of DSpace because some files are pointed
by the web application and >therefore "reserved", meaning they can't be
erased or modified.
>Does someone knows if it is possible to do re-indexing and media
filtering without stopping the web application.
>Does a trick exists for both a UNIX and a WINDOWS environnement?

Funny you should ask that, as we are being bitten by the exact same
issue (we are running about a dozen different repositories, so this
becomes quite a bit problem for us) - and a couple of days ago I decided
to do something about it.

I put together a little proof of concept to see how it could be
addressed, and I'm just in the process of testing a patch to the DSpace
HEAD. Give me a few hours or so, and I'll be able to give you a fix to
this.

There is one small caveat though - due to various issues, my current
patch will only work if you have at maximum ONE Tomcat / web application
running against an individual repository while the indexing process is
in operation.

------
Graham Triggs
Technical Architect
Open Repository
+44 (0)20 7631 9942

This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the
original intended recipient. BioMed Central Limited does not accept liability
for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly
made on behalf of BioMed Central Limited. No contracts may be concluded on
behalf of BioMed Central Limited by means of e-mail communication. BioMed
Central Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 3680030
Registered Office Middlesex House, 34-42 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4LB