Interesting question. Bear in mind, that I don't believe we ever run index-all
- we do run filter-media every day, and if Tomcat is left running that will
almost certainly trash the index (any open IndexSearcher when it tries to
recreate the index from scratch will cause the index to be trashed - search and
ingest operations will then fail, although the instance is still alive and will
serve, for example, item requests).

So, we've never really been in a position to see the issues that you are
describing. However, if you take a look at the (unpatched) code for DSQuery,
specifically in the method getSearcher(), you will notice that whenever an
update index is detected, then a new IndexSearcher is opened on it - but any
old IndexSearcher object that might be referenced by the field searcher is
never cleanly shutdown (the close() method is not called).

That means it is up to the garbage collector to come along and clean those
objects up - the timing and indeed success of that isn't ever guaranteed.

There may be other contributing factors to your problems (I haven't looked at
much code beyond the patch I created), but it is a distinct possibility that
this is playing a part.

With the patch that I supplied, even without specifying the new
'search.dir.create' configuration property (only necessary if you suffer the
problems that I describe at the top), the way getSearcher() has been rewritten
means that it will always call close() on an old IndexSearcher before it
discards the reference. So the chances are you will see better resource /
memory behaviour.