Thanks Christian.

When I run http://<ipaddress>:8080, I get "Internet Explorer cannot display
the webpage". As best I can tell, Tomcat is running. I don't know much more
about Tomcat to be able to troubleshoot further on my own. I get no errors
when I start it using

sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat5.5 start

I installed Tomcat using Ubuntu's tomcat5.5 package. Initially, I had an
error during installation

* no JDK found - please set JAVA_HOME
invoke-rc.d: initscript tomcat5.5, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing tomcat5.5 (--configure):
 tomcat5.5

Then, I realized that I had JRE (j2re1.4), not JDK, so I installed
sun-java5-jdk package and reinstalled Tomcat. That seemed to work fine. I
don't see a catalina.sh. I looked for it in /usr/local/tomcat, but I have no
tomcat folder in local. Did I do the Tomcat installation wrong?

On to your other questions...

Yes ant-optional package is installed.

When I copy the dspace*.war files to the webapps directory, they do not
unpack. All I see are 2 war files, no dspace directory.

Thanks for your help so far.

-Peter